My name is Yadira, I'm a 22 y/o lady from Puerto Rico. My first language is Spanish and it sometimes takes me a while to write a post because I'm actually thinking in Spanish, then translating to English. I have a Bachelors degree in Tourism that I just finished (I haven't even had my graduation yet). I decided to try to make a living from my crafts because I REALLY love to create things all the time. I know from experience that if I'm not creating I'm not a happy person. I've always been inclined toward arts but it was when I found crochet around 2 years ago that I started to be the crafty person that I am now. I know how to crochet, sew and I'm practicing my embroidery stitches, about knitting... I only know how to cast on. LOL
One Project You Are Particularly Proud Of:
That would have to be Lola, my first cloth doll. I made the pattern myself and after a few failed attempts I got her. I really like how she turned out and she has a special spot in my craft room.
Two Mistakes You've Made in the Past:
* The worst and most embarrassing mistake I've ever made was 2 years ago. I was running and designing a tattoo magazine. I had a meeting with a few models and I wrote a text message to one of my friends talking about one of the models. I mistakenly sent it to the exact model I was talking about and it was horrible. She read the message and started to cry and her friend started to insult me. I'm very sorry and ashamed but I can't go back in time, so I'll have to live with that forever. :S
* Wanting everything to be perfect before I even attempt to do it. Like when I'm designing a purse, I want it to be perfect without even making it. Or when making garments... Those garments I haven't made because I want to have EVERYTHING I need before I start.
Three Things That Make Your Work Unique:
* Upcycling VHS Tape: I incorporate old VHS movies into my hair clips that would otherwise end up in the landfills.
* Bright colors: I don't know if it's good or bad but I always try to incorporate bright colors in my creations.
* Lots of pre-planning: A great amount of thinking goes into everything I make. I sometimes doodle in a notebook, think about what are the best materials to bring it to life, think about how useful the item would be. Many, MANY things happen in my mind before I create anything new.
Four Tools You Love to Use:
* I love my camera, a Canon SD780 IS. Nothing fancy but it does the work if you treat it with love.
* My printer, a Canon iP4700. I love it a lot since if you use it right you get to print BEAUTIFUL pictures and pretty much anything. I use it for my business cards and the stickers I use to seal packaging etc...
* My sewing machine, a Brother CE-5500PRW. It has never failed me.
* My crochet hooks.
**Via Electric Alice
* My mom: She is always doing something new. Every time I visit her she has a different set of tools for the new craft she is attempting to teach herself. She always finds the way to use those crafts and incorporate them to her already long list of things tried.
* Materials: I can have the worst crafter's block and I take out my ribbons, floss, cabochons, buttons or fabric and they tell me what to make.
* Total strangers: Sometimes I am shopping in the mall or driving around and I see someone with a particular style/look and then I try to create accessories that would complement that style.
* I hate to admit this, but Japanese street fashion inspires me a lot. I follow some blogs related to those styles and they end up showing in my creations even if I don't notice. ** ^ On top of this text: To the left a sweet lolita and to the right a girl wearing mori girl fashion.
* Last but not least, the online crafty community: I follow MANY blogs and many Flickr users. These people have become my teachers and if I'm stuck with something I know who to ask or where to find the answer.They share their creations and even if I don't make anything that day I always have the satisfaction to see what my fellow crafters have made.