Home    About Me    Facebook    Recipes    Link Parties

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sewing Machine Meme

   This is a post that I wrote for my other blog a few months ago, since I don't use that blog anymore I wanted to save this post as I find it very cool. I updated the information to match the current status of my sewing machine and my sewing life.
~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~


My Sewing Machine
This is my sewing machine, I must love you guys a lot because I searched all the move boxes for it so I could take a picture.


   Browsing around Sew, Mama, Sew! I stumbled upon what they call the Sewing Machine Master List. It seems that it all started as a fun survey during June 1 , 2009 (Sewing Machine Month) and soon became a widespread Internet meme. Since I liked it so much, I decided to answer the questions for my sewing machine.


What brand and model do you have?
Brother CE-5500PRW
Yes, I'm talking about the Project Runway Limited Edition. No, I didn't know anything about the show until after I bought my machine. It was a great machine, for the perfect price.

How long have you had it?
Around 7 months, I bought it on 10/16/2010. That's exactly when I started to sew. :D

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
It cost me $174.28 (including 7% tax)

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
I'm always learning, but I've used it mostly to make purses, accessories and cloth dolls.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I used to sew more, but for now I'm trying to finish other (non-sewing) projects that I have in queue (those manatees...). I normally sew at least once a week for a few hours.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I *LOVE* my machine, she doesn't have a name but I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas?

What features does your machine have that work well for you?
I <3 its drop-in bobbin!

I also like that it has good illumination and all the presser feet that it includes. It has a wide variety of stitches which is a big plus. I used to love the automatic threader also, but it broke and I don't know how to fix it.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
Nothing at all.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

I never wanted to learn how to sew, I can't recall the specifics but I just wasn't interested in the subject. I don't know how, but a few months ago I got the itch to learn. All I had on hand was my Singer Pixie, but since that is best suited for Crafts it was very frustrating trying to use it for anything else. I was determined to get a decent machine, did my research and saved to buy it. I considered buying it from an authorized dealer, but my jaw dropped when the sales assistant showed me a lesser machine for $400. Later that day I drove to a nearby retailer and bought mine for less than half the price.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
Of course! It's very functional and easy to use, even for beginners. Since it's computerized, the machine will tell you (through its LCD screen) if you're doing anything terribly wrong. Also, it comes with enough accessories to keep you from having to run to buy extra stuff every time you want to try something new. If you are a more experienced sewer you'll find that this machine works perfectly for pretty much anything, the only time I ever had issues was while trying to sew vinyl. It is a very reliable machine.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
I see a sewing machine as an investment and I believe that its important to buy the best quality product that can be afforded. With that in mind, it is important to do research and know what features are needed for the things you want to do with your machine. Try to buy one that fits your budget and has as many of those features as possible.

Do you have a dream machine?
Yes, one of those computerized sewing/embroidery machines that can be connected to the computer in order to embroider digital designs into the fabric. Since all such machines are out of my budget for the moment, I don't have a favorite model yet.


If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...