Home    About Me    Facebook    Recipes    Link Parties

Friday, June 3, 2011

I'll try making garments... Again!

   When I started to learn to sew I had in mind a whole new closet that I would have loved to sew for myself. I really wanted to start making garments as soon as I learned to stitch a straight line. I made a skirt and a blouse but I wouldn't dare to show them to you, Yikes!. Guess what happened? I got stuck in purse making because they seemed to be selling well in my Facebook profile. As recently as a few weeks ago I started to feel the urge to make clothes once again. I purchased this pattern from Fashion Patterns by Coni and I am planning to make it in a black gauze (I live in a tropical island) that I'll purchase from my local fabric store.


   I am a plus sized lady so it was a bit hard to select a pattern. I'm normally in love with those vintage patterns that seem to be all the rage in the blogosphere, but I KNOW they don't come in my size. I also love patterns from Colette Patterns, patterns from Japanese sewing books and I even love some of the baby clothes that Rae makes for her daughter, but these don't come in my size either. There was no way I could sew a decent garment for my body with any of those patterns so I searched a lot and decided to purchase the Easy Yoke Blouse pattern to test drive my garment making abilities. The description says that this is a pull-on blouse with simple seaming so I hope I can understand the pattern and manage to make a decent blouse that I can be proud of. Do you think I'll be able to tackle this task?

2 comments:

  1. I have the exact same problems finding dress patterns. I would love to use a vintage pattern and size it up, but I've never even used a pattern, so I don't think I'm ready to experiment to that degree. I think the cut of vintage dresses are perfect for plus size gals, so at one point I think I'm going to have to take the plunge!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to start easy and learn the basics before I try my hand at vintage patterns, I don't want them to pay for my mistakes :S. I like Japanese patterns because those are more my style but I don't know how to work with them. Do you have any idea?

    -Yadira

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...